Playday is an annual UK celebration of children's right to play, that always falls on the first Wednesday in August. Each year there is a theme that highlights a particular issue or aspect of children's play.
At Play Wales we see Playday as an opportunity to raise awareness of the importance of children's play and the need for quality play provision every day of the year in all areas of Wales. On previous Playdays we have given radio and television interviews and supplied copy to newspapers and periodicals. We represent Wales on the Playday Steering Group.
The Playday campaign is coordinated by Play England, Play Wales, Play Scotland and PlayBoard Northern Ireland.
Playday 2017 will take place on Wednesday 2 August.
Playday 2017 theme
This year Playday is celebrating its 30th anniversary. In recognition of this milestone the 2017 Playday campaign will be Celebrate Play.
We are calling on everyone – parents, teachers, support staff – across the UK to help us celebrate all things play. Celebrate that:
- PLAYING is free
- PLAYING is a child’s right
- PLAYING is inclusive
- PLAYING supports physical and emotional health and wellbeing
- PLAYING support respect and appreciation of the natural environment
- PLAYING promotes development and learning.
You can get involved in this year’s Playday by:
- Holding a Playday celebration – whether your event is big or small, the more people that celebrate Playday the more noise we can make for children's play. Register your event online.
- Spreading the word about the campaign – post it, Tweet it, Blog it! Help spread the word far and wide about children's right and need to play – #Playday2017.
- Follow us on social media – Facebook and Twitter.
- Becoming an official Playday supporter – if your organisation is passionate about children's play, why not become an official Playday 2017 campaign supporter?
These resources were produced for past Playday campaigns but may still be useful for this year's event planning.
Get organised guide (2010)