THE FIRST CLAIM ...
The First Claim ... a framework for playwork quality assessment
'The right to play is the child's first claim on the community. Play is nature's training for life. No community can infringe that right without doing enduring harm to the minds and bodies of its citizens.' David Lloyd George
Play Wales' The First Claim ... a framework for playwork quality assessment publication aims to enable playworkers, and any other adults with an interest in children's play, to analyse, by observation and reflection, the play environments they operate. It gives a framework to assess the quality of what is being provided and experienced.
It allows users to explore:
- the nature of what children are doing
- the possible developmental and therapeutic roles of playing
- the roles and functions of the playworker (or other adult)
- the most appropriate ways of intervening in the play process
- the language and concepts of playwork
The First Claim ... is intended to complement other quality assurance procedures.
The First Claim ... is available to purchase in the Play Wales online shop