Self Assessment of Service Statement (SASS)
From July 2016 registered childcare and play providers in Wales are required to complete an annual Care and Social Services Inspectorate Wales’ (CSSIW) online Self Assessment of Service Statement (SASS).
Childcare and play providers were required to complete a self assessment and will be required to complete an annual review of the quality of care at their service later this year. This information tells Care and Social Services Inspectorate Wales (CSSIW) about your service and the system you have for monitoring, reviewing and improving the quality of care given to children and is used to inform CSSIW’s inspection of your service.
CSSIW’s Self Assessment of Service Statement (SASS) is in two parts and available to complete online:
Part one – annual data collection
The deadline for child minders and day care providers to return their SASS to CSSIW was 17 August 2016.
Part two - includes completing a Quality of Care Review
In late spring 2017, all childcare and play providers providing for children up to the age of 12 in Wales will be required to complete part two of their SASS. This includes completing a Quality of Care Review. This information helps CSSIW to monitor your compliance with the Child Minding and Day Care (Wales) Regulations 2010.
CSSIW has developed guidance for this part and a Quality of Care Review template for play and childcare providers.
If you didn't complete part one of the SASS during the summer of 2016, then you will be required to complete parts one and two via CSSIW online.
CSSIW will be writing to providers around the end of May with details of what you need to do to complete your SASS.
How the information will be used
CSSIW inspectors will use the information to:
- plan for inspection
- influence what aspects of your service to prioritise and inspect
- inform the number of inspectors they might send to inspect your service
- as evidence when they make judgments (and ratings) about your service
- confirm that your registration details are current and correct.
Support from Play Wales
Play Wales is working closely with CSSIW to provide a support service around these changes. Play Wales Members and registered Open Access play providers in Wales are able to access email support on completing the SASS. We will do our best to support issues you are having and sign post if necessary.
Benefits of the online system
CSSIW is moving to an online system for the annual data collection for registered childcare settings in Wales – there will not be an option for providers to submit a paper copy. This brings CSSIW and providers in Wales in line with regulators across the UK.
The benefits of an online system for providers include:
- A reduction in the number of questions that have to be completed by providers as you will only see the questions relevant to your setting. The system has been developed to be clear and easy to navigate.
- It incorporates some of the requirements of Local Authority Childcare Sufficiency Assessments, therefore reducing the burden and duplication of information needed to be submitted by providers. It will also improve the consistency of the data collected. This relevant information will then be shared by CSSIW with local authorities.
- There will be a number of associated guidance documents produced and guidance will also be visible on the online system as the SASS is completed making it easier to cross reference and check.
- There are options to save and come back later within the system. This will help you to complete over a period of time.
- CSSIW will automatically send a copy of your SASS report via email to you when it has been submitted.