Playday is an annual UK celebration of children's right to play, that always falls on the first Wednesday in August. Each year there is a theme that highlights a particular issue or aspect of children's play.
At Play Wales we see Playday as an opportunity to raise awareness of the importance of children's play and the need for quality play provision every day of the year in all areas of Wales. On previous Playdays we have given radio and television interviews and supplied copy to newspapers and periodicals.
Playday 2022 will take place on Wednesday 3 August.
Playday 2022 theme
The theme for this year’s Playday is ... All to play for – building play opportunities for all children.
This year’s theme aims to highlight that play is for everyone. Play happens everywhere, every day, and is the right of every child and young person. Playday encourages families, communities, and organisations large and small, to consider how they can build better opportunities for all children to play.
Following the challenges children and young people have faced over the past two years due to the COVID-19 pandemic, play is more important than ever.
- Play is essential for children and young people’s physical and mental health.
- Play allows children and young people to make friends, develop relationships, and have fun together.
- Play enables children and young people to feel connected to their communities, leading to happier communities for all.
- Play has an important role in helping children and young people cope with stress and anxiety, deal with challenges, and make sense of what’s happening around them.
We’re calling for more play, better play, every day!
After two years of restrictions across the UK, we are looking forward to hearing about the exciting ways you plan to celebrate Playday this year. Visit the Playday website to share your events.
You can get involved in Playday by:
- Spreading the word about the campaign – post it, Tweet it, Blog it! Help spread the word far and wide about children's right and need to play – #Playday2022 | #AllToPlayFor.
- Follow us on social media – Facebook and Twitter.
- Becoming an official Playday supporter – if your organisation is passionate about children's play, why not become an official Playday 2022 campaign supporter?