Play Wales’ Playful Childhoods campaign aims to help parents, carers and community groups to provide more opprtunities for children to play at home and in their neighbourhoods.
Central to this campaign is the Playful Childhoods website. It aims to:
- Help parents and carers give children time, space and support to play at home and in their local community
- Support local groups and town and community councils to provide play friendly neighbourhoods in their areas
- Provide resources that can be used by professionals in their work with children and families.
The Playful Childhoods website provides:
- Practical ideas about providing time, space and stuff to play with
- Top tips, ‘how to’ guides and ideas for children’s play
- Information on raising awareness about the importance of play
- Guidance about planning a community play area
- Examples of playful communities and projects
- Links to information on play opportunities available in every local authority in Wales
- A blog featuring regular guest articles and up-to-date information about children’s play.
The website has been developed to support:
- Parents in giving their children opportunities to play
- Parents so they feel confident about letting their children play outside in the community
- The development of playful communities for children across Wales
- A shared understanding of the importance of play for children and teenagers by all adults across Wales.
The website will also be useful for professionals to support their work with children and families. Professionals working with children and families may find the following sections of the website particularly useful to share with parents:
- Top tips for playful parenting – including managing children’s screen time and supporting teenager’s play
- ‘How to play’ guides – including how to deal with messy play and play fighting
- Ideas for play – simple and free things to do.